Along with preperations for spring break beginning, we also are beginning to prepare our students for our spring state testing cycle! Below is information in regards to the M-Step and PSAT.
Parents of 8th grade students...
Your child will take the PSAT 8/9 on April 9th this year as an initial way to prepare for the SAT they will take in their 11th grade year. The PSAT and SAT replaced the Explore ACT and ACT testing that Michigan previously used as a college readiness assessment. What we love about the PSAT is the fact that there are many ways for your child to prepare and practice for these high stakes college and career readiness assessments.
Mrs. Tomsich, our College and Career Advisor, will meet with all 8th grade students before the end of the year to get them connected to their College Board account and their Khan Academy account which are both available for free to all students who have taken the PSAT or SAT. Students are able to utilize these reports and practice sites to help guide them throughout the next three years as they prepare for the SAT. Below is a short tutorial for all of you that provides a summary of what Mrs. Tomsich will present to our 8th grade students.
During late spring or early summer, your child will receive an individual report in the mail outlining their PSAT 8/9 results. Please use this document as a guide to understand the report. It goes over the basics of how to read and analyze the report that the PSAT provides for each student who takes the PSAT.
We know navigating through these tests can be confusing, so feel free to contact us at any time.
- Mrs. Wulff - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mrs. Tomsich - email@example.com
We hope that this provides you some good information as you continue to learn about the PSAT and SAT testing at the middle and high school level. In the next few years expect more tutorials and information to come out in regards to how you can continue to support your child as they practice for their SAT testing that will take place in 11th grade.
Below are several reminders for the M-Step Spring 2019 testing:
- Please make sure you are in attendance during testing times. Contact Mrs. Wulff if you will be absent at firstname.lastname@example.org or 989-692-4032.
- Headphones are required for portions of the M-Step. Students need to bring their own headphones with them if they have them.
- PSAT 8/9 7:40-11:30am
- Resume normal classes after a late lunch
- Social Studies test 8:35-10:20am
- Science Field test 10:55-12:40pm
- Resume classes after testing
- 7th grade Health Field Trip to the Sports Zone. Permission slips due on March 20th!
- Morning classes will run normally
- Math test from 10:35-1:35pm
- English tests from 8:35am-11:45pm (with lunch break at 10:20am)
- Afternoon classes will run normally
To continue to keep all stakeholders well informed, the Michigan Department of Education has put together a bank of parent/student resources on all assessments that students take as they continue their education. Below are a wide variety of resources in regards to Michigan assessments.