GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: Working within the local districts and reporting to the Director of Special Education for Saginaw County, the Paraprofessional for the Visually Impaired shall provide Braille Instruction and instructional support services related to the usage of adaptive materials for specifically assigned students who are blind. The Paraprofessional will also assist the teacher(s) with other teaching/learning activities as related to these specifically assigned students.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To teach Braille to students who are blind.
- To provide instructional support services related to the use of technology and adaptive materials at all locations under the direction and supervision of the certified teacher (s).
- Utilizes instructional plans, strategies, methods, materials, and techniques that will assist in meeting the needs of students with visual impairments or blindness.
- Assists the teacher(s) by working with the student(s) on individual learning activities as per the students Individualized Educational Plan.
- Attends all required workshops and in-services.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude in working with student, parents, other staff members, and community members.
- To maintain confidentiality concerning student, parent, and staff information.
- To ensure a safe environment for students at all times.
- Must be willing to receive additional training to improve job skills.
- To meet and greet visitors in a positive and helpful manner.
- Other duties assigned by Administration.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Minimum of two years of college credit or Associates Degree, preferably in an area related to children/child development and/or education preferred. Will consider successful completion of WorkKeys assessment as an alternative to education requirement.
- At a minimum must be enrolled in an appropriate program providing education and instruction in the learning of Braille. Established ability to read, produce, and be able to provide instructional services in Braille preferred.
- Must demonstrate skill and competency in the use of technology to provide instructional assistance to the student in the classroom.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work effectively with others as a team member in a work team environment.
- Ability to lift and assist students as necessary (Minimum of 75 pounds).
- Working knowledge of computer and keyboarding skills.
TESTING MAY BE ADMINISTERED IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS: Arithmetic, spelling, vocabulary, number comparison, name comparison, and writing ability.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applicants must complete and submit an online Saginaw Intermediate School District application. In addition to the online application, a cover letter and resume may be uploaded. An application may be obtained online by going to the SISD website at: www.sisd.cc and clicking on “Employment”. ”. After the deadline, applications will be reviewed, and candidates who best meet the qualifications will be selected for an interview. Interviews will occur within 2-3 weeks after the deadline date. All applicants who are conditionally considered for employment will be required to submit to a drug screen test.